HIPAA compliance is ever-evolving and, although it may seem complicated, your organization is responsible for the protection and security of Patient Health Information (PHI) and Electronic Patient Health Information (ePHI)—even when it’s in the hands of others. The Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996 requires that patient information is stored securely, that access to their data is monitored and controlled, and that healthcare organizations have the proper protocols and systems in place to ensure compliance.
HIPAA rules change frequently, and the penalties for exposed patient records can range from $100 per record, if you’ve done everything possible to protect your network, to $10,000 per record, when the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights (HHS/OCR) determines you’ve been negligent in your compliance responsibilities.
At Coker, we offer a broad array of consulting solutions for healthcare organizations to meet regulatory HIPAA compliance requirements.
Here are some of the key components of HIPAA Compliance that our experts can help with to achieve adherence to The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act and HIPAA security rulings.
- Security risk assessments to discover potential risks within the organization’s network, web, mobile, cloud, virtual, and iOT infrastructure.
- Review of HIPAA documentation currently in place to ensure you are meeting requirements and to determine if all high-risk areas of compliance are being addressed.
- HIPAA training for your organization.
- Evaluate entire IT infrastructure security (servers, computers, laptops, firewalls, remote access, EHR/Practice Management systems, wireless access, etc.).
- Vendor and business associate HIPAA evaluations to determine if safeguards are in place for your organization’s PHI and ePHI.
- Breach investigation to discover the cause of the breach and remediation services to help your organization stay compliant.
- Ongoing compliance monitoring and HIPAA advisory services that will offer continuous compliance with the HIPAA security, privacy, and data breach notification rules.
- Placement of Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) or Virtual Chief Information Security Officer (vCISO) to keep your organization compliant and on track.
Waiting until you run into compliance violations to seek assistance can be expensive and time-consuming. Start eliminating compliance risks by contacting us now.