Brandt Jewell and Alex Kirkland join Mark to discuss the final rule from CMS last month announcing adjustments to the physician fee schedule for 2019. Brandt and Alex provide their input on the changes revealed and what it means for physician practices.
On November 1, 2018, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) issued a final rule that includes updates to payment policies, payment rates, and quality provisions for services furnished under the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (PFS) on or after January 1, 2019.
Key Points from the Final Rule
- One of the payment provisions announced involved streamlining evaluation and management payment and reducing clinician burden.
- Beginning in CY 2021, payment for E/M office/outpatient visits will be simplified and pay would vary primarily based on attributes that do not require separate, complex documentation.
- After consideration of concerns raised by commenters in response to the proposed rule, CMS is not finalizing aspects of the proposal that would have:
- Reduced payment when E/M office/outpatient visits are furnished on the same day as procedures;
- Established separate coding and payment for podiatric E/M visits;
- Standardized the allocation of practice expense RVUs for the codes that describe these services.
Brandt and Alex will also be hosting a webinar on January 24, 2019 that will cover, in part, the potential ramifications for physicians and healthcare organizations. Learn more and sign-up for the live event today!
We welcome all feedback from our listeners. Please submit questions on any of the topics we discuss or questions about issues in which you have an interest. You can also provide recommendations on topics for future episodes.