Interim Management in Healthcare
When gaps in executive management occur in your healthcare organization, how can you ensure continuity during everyday challenges? In times of crisis, rapid growth, change, or transition, can you afford to have a vacant position in your leadership team? Perhaps engaging an interim manager is worth considering.
At Coker, we offer an interim management program as a practical solution for vacancies, planned or unexpected, to bridge an opening during the executive search process.
Filling a vacant position with a knowledgeable interim executive while searching for a permanent placement helps to:
- Maintain organizational momentum.
- Assess and advance clinical, financial, and operational performance.
- Evaluate and enhance performance with few or without gaps or lapses.
- Explore and execute service line development or expansion.
- Prepare for pending changes in ownership.
- Initiate and implement essential initiatives with senior-level expert assistance.
- Avoid oversights in effective management.
Interim Management helps the organization to:
- Ensure continuity by immediately filling vacant executive positions with qualified associates.
- Enhance financial, clinical, and operational outcomes with experienced leadership.
- Minimize disruption and defuse potentially sensitive situations with leadership objectivity.
- Create accountability with administrative rather than consultative staffing.
- Free HR management/administration, physician leaders, and the board to search for a full-time candidate without rushing.
- Execute a successful performance improvement process.
- Pave the way for the improved procedures to be instituted permanently by the incoming executive.
Finding executive talent is increasingly challenging as the shrinking supply of high-level leaders meets the rising demand for top-notch talent. From retiring Baby Boomers to changing models of care and payment, trends both inside and out of the industry make it harder to recruit the necessary executives, especially if the need is immediate.
We have a pool of qualified executives with a broad range of healthcare experience and in-depth knowledge in a variety of areas. Our seasoned healthcare leaders are available for short- or longer-term assignments for all types of healthcare providers:
- Executive depth with a consultant’s breadth. Our interim healthcare executives have led organizations in full-time positions, as well as consulted in a host of engagements. With this unique combination of executive and field experience, our interim management executives bring broad-based insight to consult and advise and real-life involvement to implement and manage.
- Hands-on expertise. From front-line, technical knowledge to high-level strategic management skills, our interim management team provides the know-how our healthcare clients need.
- Interim to permanent placement. We may engage the interim executive to provide direct, unfiltered input in the search for a full-time leader. We use insights gained from the temporary engagement to find, place, and transition to the best permanent candidate. (Combined interim and permanent placements are available and can be priced as a package.)
- Industry experience, additional expertise. Backed by a full-service healthcare consulting firm, our interim management executives can tap into a full complement of hospital, financial, clinical, and operational advisory services and subspecialized expertise addressing the challenges our clients face.