Areas of Expertise
University of Louisville
Bachelor of Science, Healthcare Leadership (Pursuing)
Jefferson Community and Technical College
Associate in Applied Science, General Occupational and Technical Studies
Certified Professional Coder
Certified Professional Medical Auditor
Certified Evaluation and Management Auditor
American Academy of Professional Coders
National Alliance of Medical Auditing Specialists
Kentucky Board of Nursing, State Registered Nurse Aide
Stephanie Perkins has been a Medical Coding and Reimbursement Specialist since 2008 and has worked for both private practice physician groups and healthcare systems. She has held various positions throughout her career and has acquired extensive experience in professional practice coding, auditing, education, compliance, and healthcare leadership.
Stephanie is a Certified Professional Coder (CPC), a Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA), and a Certified Evaluation and Management Auditor (CEMA). As a technical expert, her role is to interpret documentation and coding guidelines, evaluate medical records to ensure maximum reimbursement for professional practice services, identify risk areas in documentation and coding practices, and provide education and resources to help healthcare providers, coding and billing personnel, and operational leaders understand and maintain compliance with regulatory standards.
- Led multiple teams of medical coders, medical billers, and medical auditors.
- Served on administrative, research, and enhancement committees.
- Established a professional practice audit program for a large medical practice.
- Standardized policies and procedures to improve consistency.
- Developed protocols to improve medical coding and auditing efficiencies and track effectiveness.