Areas of Expertise
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
Bachelor of Science, Management – Human Resources Emphasis
La Crosse, WI
Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
Erika Fisch is a senior associate at Coker Group. She has over 11 years of experience working in an integrated health system providing various audits and education to clinicians. Skilled at teaching E/M to clinicians, coders, and administrative staff, she has worked with several departments on system-wide projects that ultimately affected coding and reimbursement for the health system, including consulting on implementing new services, rolling out RN-led Medicare Annual Wellness visits, and giving feedback on write-off data. Erika is experienced in many areas of inpatient professional coding (Hospitalists, Intensivists, Pediatric Hospitals, and Critical Care) and outpatient professional coding (Internal & Family Medicine, Pediatrics, OB/GYN, Neurosciences, Pulmonology, etc.). She has provided quarterly benchmark reporting to clinicians and administrative staff, from which audits and education services were often performed as a result.
- Provides expert advice on CPT and ICD coding guidelines, clinical documentation, risk adjustment methods, billing and revenue integrity policies, and denials analysis prevention to physicians, associate staff, and department leadership.
- Subject matter expert on evaluation and management coding, teaching physician guidelines including primary care exception clinics, Medicare annual wellness visits, Split/shared billing, critical care billing, and E/M performance.
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge and technical expertise in code sets including CPT, HCPCS, and ICD-10 as well as the current national, regional, and local payer policies for coding, billing, and claims processing.
- Obtains audit documentation for content and validity/medical necessity as it relates to coding and billing.
- Collaborates with leadership to research and interpret coding guidelines, regulatory materials, and claims processing policies.
- Works with internal departments to provide timely, respectful, and comprehensive communication for the purpose of client, department, and organization satisfaction.
- Analyzes trends regarding denials, national averages, and AWOs and relays appropriate information to key stakeholders.