Areas of Expertise
- Revenue and Quality Integrity (RQI)
- Hospital Operations Strategic Accountable Care Analyses/Formation
- Clinically Integrated Network Formation
- Physician Network Development
- Medical Staff Development
- Contract Negotiations
- Compensation Review
- Physician Recruitment/Retention
- Strategic Planning
- Business Plan Development
- Contracting with Government/Commercial Payers
University of Oregon Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine
University of Massachusetts Isenberg School of Business
Master of Business Administration
Bachelor of Arts, Human Biology
Fellow of the American College of Physicians
Fellow of the American College of Medical Practice Executives
Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives
Fellow in Hospital Medicine
Healthcare Financial Management Association
Society of Hospital Medicine
American College of Physicians
American College of Physician Executives
American Medical Association
South Carolina Medical Association
Columbia Medical Society
Mac Knight has over 40 years of experience in the healthcare arena, as a practicing physician, physician executive, healthcare consultant, expert witness and industry thought leader. He has practiced and held leadership positions in community and academic settings and is familiar with the operation of hospitals in both rural and urban settings. He is frequently asked to speak at national meetings and has authored or co-authored multiple books and articles on a variety of healthcare-related topics.
Dr. Knight graduated from Stanford University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Human Biology and received his doctor-of-medicine degree, cum laude, from the University of Oregon Health Science Center’s School of Medicine. He earned a Master of Business Administration from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and has achieved fellowship status in the American College of Physicians, the Society of Hospital Medicine, and the American College of Healthcare Executives.
Dr. Knight has a particular interest in value-based care process design, cost accounting, clinical integration, and physician/clinician leadership skill development. His special passion is pushing for change in the healthcare system that results in higher value (quality per unit of cost) for patients in these extremely challenging times.
- Oversees Coker Group’s ValuePath services, which are designed to smooth the transition for healthcare organizations from a volume to a value business model.
- Oversees Coker’s Revenue and Quality Integrity (RQI) services, which offer expert services around coding, compliance, and clinical documentation to healthcare organizations of all types.
- Provides expert witness services to defense attorneys around malpractice claims against hospitals or physicians.
- Serves as Coker’s chief medical officer and works on a variety of projects where his clinical background and knowledge of clinical operations can bring additional value to the client.
- Possesses particular expertise in population health management, clinical care process design, cost accounting, clinical integration, and clinical documentation/coding improvement.
- Familiar with the management and operations of rural hospitals, community hospitals, public hospitals, large health systems (to include academic medical centers), and physician practices of all types and specialties.