Coker Connection is Coker’s premier monthly newsletter. It’s a great way to stay on top of the latest news going on in healthcare and always features two new articles by different Coker consultants. To view the most recent articles, they are included below for download.
To sign up to begin receiving Coker Connection, follow the link below and we will send you the next issue.
The Tone at the Top Sets the Standard for an Effective Compliance Program
A recent news article headline reads, “London Cardiologist Sentenced for Health Care Fraud,” reporting that a Kentucky cardiologist was found guilty of implanting medically unnecessary pacemakers and will serve four years in prison. Purportedly, a number of patients testified at his trial that the cardiologist not only pressured patients into getting the pacemaker procedures but misled them about their health conditions.
When we hear of such incidents, we ask, “How could that have occurred?” So we try to make ourselves feel better by saying, “That would never happen in our organization!” It’s our human nature to deny that this type of event could happen to us. Nevertheless, with the frequent publication of alerts and settlements on a variety of compliance issues, we should realize that adverse acts and events can and do happen, even in the [seemingly] best of organizations.
IT Choice Points
By Terry Wilk, MBA, FCHIME, CJMC, Senior Vice President | Coker Group
Choice Points. No matter what role one plays in an organization, everyone has Choice Points that arise from time-to-time to which he or she must respond. A Choice Point is one of those critical strategic decisions to make on behalf of the organization. These decisions can become career-impacting in that, if the outcome goes well, the individual will likely earn high praise and may even receive more responsibility or a promotion. Conversely, if the result of a Choice Point decision falls short of expectations or completely fails, that employee may have to look for another job unexpectedly.
Choice Points commonly have the following characteristics:
Past Coker Connection Newsletters
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Healthcare: How is it Changing Healthcare and What are the Ramifications?
- CDI – It’s No Longer Just About Inpatient Services
- Has Your Practice Had an Annual Exam? Check These ‘Vital Signs’ to Assess the Health of Your Operations
- CIO-on-Demand” – An Innovative Approach to Meet Interim CIO Needs
- Just When Your Think You’ve Heard It All: CMS’s Proposal for an E/M Makeover
- The Next Stage of Evolution in Physician Practice Transactions: Can hospitals compete with private equity in attracting physician group deals?
- Health System Practice Investment: What’s the Cost?
- Vendor Selection and Negotiating EHR Vendor Contracts
- Interim “C” Suite Management: Develop a Customized Job Description
- The Intersection of Compliance and Fair Market Value: Are You Sure Your Arrangements Coincide?
- Practice Management: An Integrated Approach to Short- and Long-term Improvement
- Healthcare Cybersecurity Threats and Trends for 2018
- Revenue and Quality Integrity: A Comprehensive Approach to Coding, Compliance, and Clinical Documentation
- Key Factors for Developing High-Potential Employees
- Are Single-Specialty CINs as Valuable as Multispecialty CINs?
- Mitigating Risk when Migrating from one EMR to Another
- Direct to Employer Contracting Arrangements – A Response to Rising Premiums and Compromised Care
- Patient Access
- Physician Compensation Governance: Building a Good Foundation
- Find, Develop, and Retain Successful Executive Leaders – A Three-Pronged Approach!
- Front-End Patient Collections: Where the Rubber Meets the Road
- Strategic Planning for Healthcare Systems and Practices
- 2018 Updates to MACRA
- Achieve Quality Improvement through IT Integration
- The Dangers of an Unstable IT Infrastructure
- Where’s the Value in Physician Practice Valuation
- Practice Optimization: An Argument for Spending More
- The Real Value of Executive Search
- Four Areas to Incorporate in Your Hospital Service Line Strategic Planning
- Long-Term Value Creation Through Effective Post-Merger Integration (And how football teams aren’t that different from hospitals pursing successful transaction strategies.)
- Coding Compliance and wRVUs: What Lurks Beneath the Surface?
- Coker IT Assessments: What’s Involved?
- Relationship Status with Productivity-Based Compensation: It’s Complicated
- Conflict Management and Successful Leadership
- Coker ValuePath™ Services: Successfully Navigate the Path to Value
- Revenue Cycle Management: It’s More Than You Think
- Five Steps to Building a “MACRA Ready” Physician Compensation Plan
- The Increasing Demands on Internal Recruitment Departments
- Spring Is a Good Time to Clean Up Your Vendor Contracts
- The Value of Clinical Documentation Improvement
- Smoothing the Rough Spots in Patient Flow in Outpatient Practices
- MACRA’s Medicare Part B Payments Under MIPS
- Leadership Development and Succession Planning
- Myth of the Median
- Interim Management: Allow Your Organization Time to Find Expert Leadership
- Cyber Security Lessons from 2016 and Trends for 2017
- Information Technology: A Competitive Necessity or A Competitive Advantage?
- Benchmarking to Perfection
- The Effect of the Election on the Healthcare Industry
- External Value-Based Incentives: What Should You Do With Them?
- The Importance of Accurate Cost Accounting in Healthcare Delivery
- A Reflection on Coding and Compliance Changes
- Prepare Your Organization for Unexpected Leadership Gaps
- Navigating the Documentation of Community Need
- Creating Balance between Clinical Needs and Cyber Security Policies
- Alignment Deal-Making: Keys to a Successful Transaction
- MACRA and MIPS in Physician Practice Valuations
- Identifying and Retaining Leadership Talent
- MU will Soon be a MIPS – Why and What do you need to Know?
- The First Step on the Road to Value: The Coker ValuePath Assessment
- Harmony – MD
- wRVUs: Are Yours Accurate
- Credentialing: The First Step to Revenue
- Developing a Physician Leadership Strategy
- Too Little? Not Too Late!
- Bridging the Gap from Fee-for-Service to Fee-for-Value (without Losing Your Mind)
- Physician Documentation: My, How Times Have Changed!
- A Strategic Systematic Approach to Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA): A Living Plan for Your Community Health Improvement
- Mitigating Organizational Stress
- When and How to Convert to another EHR
- Do M&A Deals Really Result in Long-Term Value Creation? Increasing Your Odds of Success